The weather has finally cooled down, well at night at least. It gives me promise of cooler days to come.
You see, fall is my favorite time of year. A couple years ago, another friend of mine made a list of the reasons she loved the fall (you can see why we were friends), so I thought I would do something similar with my top ten reasons why I love this time of year.
10. Autumn smells. I love the way the air smells in fall. I don’t know if it’s the crisp, crunchy leaves, or the grill smoke. However, it’s more than just outside. I love the candles that come out this time of year – cinnamon, clover, all the smells that make your house feel cozy.
9. Grilling out. Speaking of grill smoke, I love a good barbecue. In our little family, a barbecue is much more than steak, hamburgers, or hot dogs. My favorite thing to grill is whole okra. I could eat a pan of it all by myself.
8. Comfort Food. Right along the same lines, I love all the yummy foods that come out of this season. This is the time we make lots of breads, soups, and crockpot meals. There’s just something wonderful about warm soup in the belly on a chilly night.
7. Farmers Market. I know that the Farmers Market starts in the spring, at least where we are, but we go more often around this time of the year. I think it’s because it’s the harvest season. And we love our Farmers Market. It’s where I can get whole okra to grill. 🙂
6. Football games. It is not an understatement when you hear about Texas and football. It seems to be in everyone’s blood, and I think it’s finally found its way into ours. We have been to several football games already this year, watching friends play and coach, as well as going to a professional game. I love the whole experience, from the joy of a touchdown to the yumminess of a pretzel (my indulge when we go).
5. TV Premieres. For some reason, I love the fall lineup better than any other time of the year. It’s when my favorite shows start their story telling again. I was so excited today to catch the latest episode of Once Upon a Time (we don’t have cable, instead we watch everything on Hulu or Netflix). I also love the new shows. Both TV Guide and Hulu give sneak peeks through the months of August and September. While some of these shows may not last in my queue, it’s still fun to see what Hollywood thinks we would enjoy.
4. Decorations. When I’m not watching TV or working, I generally spend my time crafting in this season. With Halloween, tailgate parties and Thanksgiving all wrapped in the fall, I spend a lot of hours on Pinterest coming up with new ideas and finding new ways to decorate the house for colder weather.
3. Preparing for Xmas. I also start focusing on the grandest of all holidays – the Christmas season. Generally, because we spend Thanksgiving with one side of the family and Christmas with the other, we tend to celebrate Christmas in November too. Because of this, we have to prep for Xmas a bit early. I can’t wait to pull out all the decor, though, and see how I will put it up this year.
2. Family Time. This goes right along with the holidays. We tend to see a lot more family during this time of the year. I guess because there is a lot more chance to travel (and we have to with our closest family 6 hours away). We really love seeing family and catching up with each other, although this is much easier with Facebook now.
1. Snuggling. I had to make this number one because it is my absolute favorite. I look forward to the cold nights spent in the living room, with a warm fire and hot tea, snuggled under blankets with my sweetie and my pup-a-lups. It’s probably my most favorite ever.
I have reasons to love the other seasons as well, and maybe I will share them with you as we get to them, but autumn, by far, is my favorite!
What is your favorite season? Do you have other reasons to love fall?